02 January 2009

Grevillea incrassata

Click image to enlarge

Grevillea incrassata

An interesting upright open shrub with thick silver foliage and plumes of yellow flowers. It just reaches into my designated Esperance region where I only know it from a couple of colonies to the northwest (100 km from Esperance). It grows with Grevillea aneura and Banksia elderiana in a shallow sandy soil over laterite (gravelly clay). The habitat is a low eucalypt woodland, with tall shrubs and pockets of mallee heath.



Initially it does not look like a Grevillea, but some other more exotic Proteaceae, although I have since encountered another Grevillea with similar type flowers, which in that case due it its broad green foliage, I thought (when first spotted from a distance) that it may be an unusual Acacia. So I have learnt to never take anything for granted in this florally diverse region.


Usually growing from 1-2 metres (4'-7') in height, with most flower spikes 5-6 cm (2"-2.5") in length. I have been most fortunate that everytime I have visited this Grevillea is it has been in flower, ie from September to January.